Thursday, August 5, 2010

Top 5 Paranormal Things at SCBWI LA 2010

First of all, if you haven't entered my UNBELIEVABLE contest yet. Please do!!

Now, some of you might know that I attended the annual SCBWI LA conference this past weekend. So if I've been absent from the blogosphere (or at least a bit scarce) it is because I haven't been around. All that will change shorty. But the conference itself was AMAZING! I met so many of you that I've been wanting to meet for so long and of course, many many incredible authors and publishing professionals.

Someone asked me if I planned on blogging about the conference. Well, I want to. But I also want to hold true to my usual brand of paranormal. SO here are the top 5 paranormal things at at SCBWI LA 2010:

5. DELAWARE
Nobody panic, but it would appear that the state of Delaware has been swallowed by a giant wormhole. NO ONE FROM THE STATE OF DELAWARE WAS IN ATTENDANCE. M.T. Anderson even sang a song in tribute to the lovely state. This leads me to wonder, what evil plot is hatching in the midst of the unsuspecting people of New England? Keep your eyes open people...

4. GHOST
Yes. I need to tell you that there was a ghost present during the conference. It was a kind and wonderful spirit. The spirit of the great Sid Fleischman. His brilliance, humor and kind heart have helped steer the soul of SCBWI for the past 39 years and although we have lost him, he remains in spirit.

3. TWILIGHT
Yep. You heard right. And NO, Stephenie Meyer was not in attendance. It was Jennifer Hunt, the Editor overseeing all acquisitions for MG and YA at Little Brown. I have to tell you she was a really nice person. I even won a book from her. And though it wasn't Twilight, you can be sure the name came up one or twelve times.

2. SKANKY BO-PEEPS
I won't name names, but I will tell you that during the costume party there were some pretty interesting costumes. Heart and Soul was the theme. Not certain how the whole Skank thing slipped in, but I will tell you it was a lot of paranormal fun.
AND FINALLY

The number 1 paranormal thing at SCBWI LA:

GUARDIAN ANGELS
Otherwise known as Literary Agents. One in particular stuck out. MINE. He he he. The great Rubin Pfeffer was a keynote speaker at the conference. His introduction by Lin Oliver blew me away. I'd known it all along, but hearing it there was pretty neat. I think she referred to him as "the grand pubah" at one point. All I can say after hearing his speech about the future of the publishing industry in the digital age, is that I am SO GLAD he's my agent. ;)
If you were there, what did you think? If not, what do you want to know? I just love our comment conversations!!!

21 comments:

  1. Lisa, this was a joy to read! I loved your creative twist on the event. Thanks for sharing the pictures, too. Martina may have mentioned you today over on our site ;) Thanks for this post.

    Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! I wish I could have gone--and I grew up in Delaware. I'm pretty positive the state is still intact. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures were great! Thanks for sharing. I wish I could have gone. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this Lisa! How exciting it must have been. One of these days I'm going to get to a conference! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey - thanks to ALL of you! I absolutely recommend it. Don't go with the idea that you are paying to be able to submit to certain people though (I saw a few of those people there who convinced themselves they wasted their money) If that happens then GREAT! But if not, soak up the incredible wealth of information available and meet as many AWESOME people as you can. Hands down, this is the best part of our industry - the people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahahahahaha LOVE THE PICTURES

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks T! Missed you there. But wouldn't have dared post anything but your shoes anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing! Glad you had such a great time. I've never been to any kind of writers conference, so it's good to get input from those who have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelly - I absolutely recommend a conference. And especially something through SCBWI though I've gone to some great local SCBWI ones as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you had a FABULOUS time! I love the LA SCBWI conference. I want to go back again one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Karen! Yes, I hope to be able to attend again next year, but we'll have to see where the ole finances are...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you met a lot of great people and came home happy, content, and fired up to hit the keyboard. I love conferences but never went to the LA one. I've got to go after looking at those hilarious and fun pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely! the hardest part was going into family mode right away for our own vacation after. I've been itching to hide in a dark cave and write for days now. What is wrong with me??

    ReplyDelete
  14. He he. I love your paranormal take of the conference and the bo-peeps' costumes. They were priceless. I can't believe you even got pictures of them. Too cute!

    I think next year everyone should have their names over their heads. It would be so much easier than looking at everyone's stomachs to find our blogging friends. ;)

    I hear you about the cave. I'm dying to work on my edits. Too bad we're going on vacation soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, I'm finally back and now I want to WORK! :) We'll meet up next time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wish we'd hung out in LA!! And omg YES, I wish I'd had the chance to know Sid Fleischman. What an amazing man!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Sara! I know. I will always regret having missed out meeting him. But it is amazing how much his son seems like him.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds like you had so much fun! I love the pictures, especially the one of you and your agent! I love how you refer to the agents as guardian angels, that is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heather - thanks! It was a lot of fun. And yes, they really are like our guardian angels, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is so cool what you wrote about your agent. Lucky woman!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dayana - Thanks! What can I say? The guy is AWESOME. :D I am a VERY lucky woman.

    ReplyDelete