Thursday, October 21, 2010

Zombies Vs. Unicorns - So Which Is It?

Recently, I finished the book Zombies Vs. Unicorns. For those of you not familiar with it, it is an anthology featuring stories by some of my favorite YA writers, including Libba Bray, Cassandra Clare, and Naomi Novik. The whole thing is divided into teams - The incredible Holly Black heading team Unicorn and the incomparable Justine Larbalestier heading team Zombie.

I felt like a kid in a candy store. But which side to take? Follow my inner child, admit that my old room at my parent's house still has unicorns plastered all over the walls? Or embrace the darkness within and go with those stylish Undead, the Zombies? I decided I would read first and decide later.

I have to tell you that some of the stories in this book were UNBELIEVABLE. My favorites? On the Zombie side: LOVE WILL TEAR US APART by Alaya Dawn Johnson. The Unicorn side: Princess Prettypants by Meg Cabot. Both freaking brilliant.

Still confused after I finished the book however, I thought I would invite an actual member of each team over to debate the issue. So I have with me today a Unicorn and a Zombie.

ME: So, some people say Unicorns are passe. That you've had a good run, but now it's the age of the Zombie. What do you have to say to that?

Unicorn: I'm above such foolishness. Can't you see by my shiny coat and rainbow colored hair that I don't care what others think?

Zombie: Waaawoooowoooahhhaaaaaaddddooooooowwaaa

ME: Uh huh. And you aren't afraid you come off as just a teeny bit, well, overinflated?

Unicorn: Nonsense. I simply tell the truth. I mean really? Look at me. Now look at that. Ew. Don't breathe on me.

Zombie: Ooooohhhhwwaaaaaahoowwwwweeeeeeeaaaahhhhh

ME: Great. Um, excuse me Mr. Unicorn? Please don't nibble the upholstery. And Mr. Zombie, please stop, um, yeah. Never mind. I think I have enough information to make an informed decision now.

So, as short as that interview was, I think we can all say we gleaned some seriously enlightening information from it. Right? Can't you see the answer now?

Team Unicorn or Team Zombie? I don't think so.

I'm Team Gnome. All the way!!

15 comments:

  1. Lisa, I spotted this book in Barnes and Noble recently, but if I buy another book, I'm going to need a new house to put them all in :) Thanks for your insights on this one, though. I don't think I could choose sides either :)

    Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may come as a surprise, but I'm totally Team Unicorn. While I love me a little Sean of the Dead, and even have an MS about the undead, my heart lies in colorful fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marissa - Well, we're even then because whenever I see your Monday posts I want to go shopping!! ;)

    Christi - Guess there's that little princess in all of us. Although some of those unicorns weren't exactly domesticated. Another one I enjoyed was the Care and Feeding of Your Killer Baby Unicorn (or something like that).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm team zombie unicorns! Oh, that wasn't a choice? Ummm ... I'm going for Gnome. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Brenda! That would be so awesome. Zombie Unicorns. Oh yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of COURSE I am team unicorn, I don't know where you found your unicorn, he's obviously an imposter, I can introduce you to the real thing. I've written a book about them. just because they are beautiful and rainbow shimmery does not mean they are shallow and vain! (they are actually very insecure creatures).

    Oh dear i sound like I'm ranting, please forgive me. i might need to write a post about how HARD it is to read other books that feature paranormal creatures you are writing about because... well, we are all rule-breakers, aren't we? And THEY are BREAKING my rules.

    OMG there I go again.

    It's a Friday, forgive me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margo - I'm sure your unicorns are much nicer than mine. Just like people, each one is different I suppose. Just read the anthology. There's everything from killer unicorns to, well, Princess Prettypants. And they all coexist harmoniously in the confines of this one book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You crack me up, Lisa!

    I haven't read the book and probably won't. I'm not into short stories. Give me a thick, juicy novel every time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nope, I'm Team Hobbit first; then unicorn. Gnomes make me fidget and zombies drool, don't they? Can't stand drool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stina - I do love a good novel, but since I also enjoy writing short stories, I thought I'd give it a shot. And like I said, I'm really glad I had the opportunity to read some of them. Especially Love Will Tear Us Apart.

    Lee - Yeah, drool is an unsightly side-effect of zombieism. Such a shame, but if that bothers you, the decaying flesh factor probably would too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I could actually see all of you on a couch, Oprah style. Did either of them jump on the couch? Did the zombie leave a stain? Just curious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and I forgot to mention this post is brilliant, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julie - thank you! I'll just say that from now on I'm using seat covers. And that there's a bite mark or two. Possibly very different sizes...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like I should grab this book IMMEDIATELY... so I can properly add my view.

    Right now I'm team Unicorn... after reading, I'll let you know where I end up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jen- good idea! Do let me know where you stand.

    ReplyDelete