Thursday, April 8, 2010

A Fairy Good Review

Today I have a very special guest, Annabelle the Fairy, who is going to give us her review of the book Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey. So without further ado, Annabelle take it away!

Thank you, Lisa. I have to tell you I found this book fascinating. The kind of Fairy Lore most often seen in U.S. literature is based on that of Europe - England, Ireland, Scotland, etc. Greek mythology is about as foreign as it usually gets. But this book was filled with New Zealand and Maori myth. I found it a refreshing break from all those boring Greek Gods and vampire books. Sorry - I know you love that stuff, but really, unless it's about fairies, what good is it? Everyone knows we're the most interesting creatures in the universe. So even though it wasn't about me exactly it still held my interest. Now, where's all the bling you promised me? Hey - don't write that part. Cut it out!

Ahem. Thank you, Annabelle. I have to agree about the fascinating look at Maori culture. A subject I knew little to nothing about. I also appreciated the interest in theater in the book, a personal pastime of mine. If you want to read an interview with the author, see this link to The Enchanted Inkpot. My favorite character? Mark. Definitely Mark. Gotta love those mysterious, hot guys. Have you read it? What did you think?

8 comments:

  1. ooo i haven't read this book yet!! i didn't even know it was about fairies..

    thanks so much for sharing!! maybe ill at it to my TBR pile? hehe

    CONGRATS AGAIN YOU WONDERFUL BESTIE, YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sort of - it has some Maori equivalents to fairies among other things. I don't want to give too much away!

    THANK YOU AGAIN!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read it, but it sounds great. Good fairy research for me and my protagonist. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certainly a different viewpoint being a different mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read it either - but it sounds awesome. I'll put it on my TBB list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jemi - welcome! And let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds interesting, I'll have to read it. A psychic once told me I was a fairy named Maeve. *flutters wings*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool, Joanne. I could deal with being a fairy.

    ReplyDelete