Today I want to look at Publicity.
- Sometimes you get a publicist!
- You have a name behind you
- You have wider exposure in print
- Most new authors have to promote themselves
- Other books from the publisher may take precedence
- You can release more books in a shorter period of time (provided you still use professional editing/copyediting/design etc.)
- The publisher (sometimes you) might be better invested in your book.
- You definitely have to promote yourself
- You can pretty much count B&N out unless you are doing NOOK.
The truth is I'm not sure I see much of a difference in work unless you are one of the lucky few the big five decide to help publicize. The biggest difference is in traditional print and availability. It's not impossible with Indie by any means, but in a large chain it is.
What did I miss? Fill me in!