Monday, October 8, 2012

Continuing Education Through The Blogosphere

I remember after only one short year of blogging I felt like I had earned a masters degree through self-study online. There was so much information I had to learn I thought I would explode. I continued on that way for quite a while. Then recently something happened. I realized that some "rules" seemed to change. Not hard and fast grammar rules or anything - just style issues that used to make you appear either professional or not. Things like opening with action vs. taking time to get to know your character (preferably you can manage both), or being as brief as possible in a query. 

So what was I to do? 

Granted, these apparent changes aren't always mutually exclusive, but it made me realize something. Things change. Times change. Paranormal, which was hot when I started (lucky for me, right?) is now a hard sell. Who knows? Omniscient might be back in style soon! 

The question became, do I stick to the old ways, being stubborn? Or do I buck up, dive back in and start learning again? 

The answer's obvious, huh? :D Good thing I LOVE learning. 

No matter where you are in the process, never assume you know it all. Because when someone acts like they know it all? I take it with a grain of salt. We can always grow, learn, and improve. That's one of the wonderful things about the craft of writing. 

Share in the comments one new thing you've learned in the last week and check out the other comments!


13 comments:

  1. So true Lisa. One thing I've learned from reading lots of books in 3rd person limited lately is that "was" is not such an evil word. Sometimes it just works best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great reminder. I've learned that attitude is as important as anything else. We have to believe in ourselves, but it's true that we don't know everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just when you think you have it all figured out...it changes. So true. And being willing to learn is so key, in any area of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing I know for sure: I will NEVER know it all! I love it when even multi-published authors admit that they don't know it all, and that they continue to learn as well. There's a bounty of information out there for us, all we have to do is be open and willing to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one of the best things about writing - there's so much to learn - so many ways to grow! This week, I learned I can think about plotting and not hyperventilate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, I feel like I'm always learning. Each new project has its own challenges, and that's where we can research, and experiment, and grow. You can almost feel your brain getting bigger! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who was it that said the more I know the more I realize how much there is to learn? Smart cookie. Yes, things change, but I think it's also our perspective that changes. Even though I blog to help me solidify what I'm learning about craft, I feel less and less qualified to write about anything writing related.

    And as for your writing? It's gotten stronger and stronger, and it was wonderful to begin with. You have a gift for creating both great stories and great characters -- and you do it with great dialogue, fantastic action, and a charming, witty voice. Always. I love your stuff! :)

    Martina

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is certainly not the proudest learning moment I've ever had, but it was a fun - my teenage stepdaughter introduced me to brotips.com. He he he. (high tolerance for f-bombs required, unfortunately) but definitely helpful to get into that contemp young adult/new adult feel I need once in a while writing YA.

    Now you had to go mention Omniscient and ooooooohhhh please tell me that style is coming back around. Actually I love a mix of close third with the occasional splurge into Ommmmm. Just finished reading Sabriel (published 1995) and I'm just dreamy-eyed after it...

    Paranormal will NEVER not be popular. It's just going to get more and more wonderfully original.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the fantastic things about meeting writers, agents and editors online is how much information is available. I agree with you that I felt I was getting a free education as I soaked it up, but I also learned to recognize that there are always differing opinions. Be informed, be open, is my new mantra.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm always learning something new. When writing today's post, I consulted several craft books for quotes. How could I have missed Donald Maass's brilliant point? Oh, yeah, it was one of hundreds in his book. They all became a blur after a bit. Learning things in bite size pieces is so much easier, like what we learn on blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that there is always something new to learn and another way to grow as a writer. There never seems to be a "dull moment" in the world of a writer. This week I learned of yet another book on craft that I need to check out: Scene and Structure by Jack Bickham.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still get all "jump up and downy" when I learn something new. Bloglandia is a unique and amazing fountain of golden nuggets.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is indeed. As long as we keep learning, we keep growing and improving. One thing I learned this week is that Harper Collins is starting an eBook only imprint. The world is changing.

    ReplyDelete