How do you focus when you're distracted?
We face all sorts of those nasty little distractions (okay some aren't nasty like my baby for example). From work, to personal lives, to rejections, to acceptances! All of those things can take much needed focus from our actual writing. Even blogging! *faints*
Here are some simple tips to keep that butt of yours in the chair!
- Plan ahead. Meaning, carve out that time to work before the day even starts. Actually writing it on your calendar can give it the importance it deserves.
- Turn off all the distractions. Some we can't - like babies - but some we can! Like the internet. Or the telephone.
- Write down your goals and check them off as you go. Seriously. Studies show that if you write it, you're more likely to accomplish it. Also the more specific the better, so break it down into parts and if you check them off you feel like you're really getting somewhere!
- Make yourself accountable. If you tell others you'll feel a lot worse about not doing it. My writing buddies (Leslie Rose and Julie Musil) and I have a policy where we share our monthly writing goals with each other. I love those guys!
- Recognize how important it is to you. I'm not complete if I don't write. I know that about myself. So if I don't make time, I'm not the only one that suffers. My family doesn't get the complete me if that makes any sense. Also, don't forget that blogging and all are AWESOME but they don't take the place of actual writing. ;D
Got any other tips to add? Share! Oh and did you get my little pic? He he. If not watch the movie UP!!!