- People - either reviewers or critiquers - will tear apart what you write?
- That you're just not good ENOUGH?
- That you'll never get the call?
Strike a nerve? HOW DID I KNOW? Because we all have that part of us somewhere inside, that monster called self-doubt. These thoughts can become absolutely debilitating if left to fester. But what do we do about it? Just remind yourself of these truths and you will persevere.
- Using critiques you can and will make your manuscript even better.
- Not everyone likes the same things. Each reader finds the right books for him/her.
- No one is perfect. Even JK Rowling gets called on her adverbial dialogue tags! But by working on your craft, writing, revising, reading, and learning all you can, you will consistently improve.
- Getting the call would be great! Icing on the cake. But that isn't really WHY you're doing this. You're doing it because you have to. Because you can't NOT write.
Is it nice to be recognized? Of course! Should you want to? Naturally! But don't let your fear control you, because then you've lost sight of the real prize - the feeling of digging into that shiny new idea, of creating something from scratch that's uniquely you.