Monday, April 16, 2012

Getting Critiques

photo credit
So we've written and revised our novel until we can't see straight. Now it's time to let others take a look. It's not always easy to find the right critique partners. I've been very lucky in that department. I find what works best for me are Beta Readers. Those that will take a look at the thing as a whole and give me honest feedback. I know it's nerve-wracking, but in truth, how can you expect a million readers to like it if you're afraid to get feedback from a few writers who know what they're doing? 
So we hit send and wait. Eat some chocolate (I probably support the chocolate industry a little too much, huh?) and... IMHO start a new project which will take our minds off of it. 
At this point I have to pause and give a shout out to my two closest writer friends and beta's - Julie Musil and Leslie Rose! And I couldn't forget Martina Boone either. They all have fabulous blogs, so if you haven't visited you should. 
I'm skipping ahead now to the point where we get our notes. Take a deep breath then dive in. Try not to be defensive and remember they're trying to help! 
But you'd thought you'd fixed everything! And now there's red everywhere and it feels like you have to start from scratch... 
Not true. You're foundation is still there. Think of it as icing on the cake. Or better yet - what if you forgot to add the eggs??? Better go back and fix that! It's worth it in the end. So Take a look at each comment carefully. Don't dismiss the good ones. Those are patting you on the back for everything you do well! Sometimes as a critiquer I take it for granted that my partner will know she's good at something - but the truth is we ALL like to be reminded of what's working, so don't ever forget those comments!
If you need to, take a break again, and think it through. Let it sit. If you still have a gut problem with one of the comments (not ALL just one or some or something else may be going on) then see what the others say. If two comments are in conflict? Pick the one you prefer! That's always fun. 
And how much do you want to bet that something in those notes will be flashing back to the niggling doubt you had but skipped over in revisions? :D

17 comments:

  1. Critiques aren't easy and yes they're hard to take but 99% percent of the time they make my work stronger! Even if I don't take the advice right away I usually see the wisdom in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last point is so true. I've changed my mind about something a critter wrote when the comment kept hitting me over the head long after I finished reading the feedback. That was my hint that the individual was right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting better at shifting through the helpful comments and the ones that I don't agree with. At first, I took everyone's comments and tried to apply them. Yeah, that got rather rough when I received conflicting advice. I've learned to focus on my story goals and use the advice from others to help me get there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if a crit just forces me to re-look at something (and I don't change it), it still makes the work better (because I can defend my choice there). But MOST of the time, I do have to change something! And the story is always better for it.

    Finding the right crit partners is an art all to itself - and an ongoing one! I think you need to keep adding new people to the mix, to get fresh insights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, thanks so much for the shout out! You and Leslie have definitely made my work MUCH stronger. You two spot things that I didn't see, even thought I'd read the thing 100 times. Your perspective is awesome, and I'm so thankful that we have each other to review our work.

    I like to read through all the comments at once, then let them marinate for a couple of days. If something stood out to you, then I need to address it. No buts about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. There's nothing like a great crit partner (or two, or three!). I just blogged today about taking it up to the next level and hiring an editor. These polishing techniques are definitely a necessity in today's publishing climate! My post is here: http://heatherdaygilbert.blogspot.com/2012/04/newbie-writing-mistakes-monday-from.html. Hope you can check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've found that I learn most from beta reader-type critiques too. And those views from others who aren't so heart-stitched to the story (like the writer!) can see things we can't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is excellent! I always like to let things sink in and think about them before I go any further. I find that after a bit of time to mull them over, I absorb what the critiquer was trying to say much better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true! I've lucked into some excellent crit buddies and I've learned SO much from them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't even think about putting my work out for public consumption without my critique partners going over it with their keen eyes. I've very lucky to have three excellent writers/editors. Seems like you're pretty lucky, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. GREAT advice Lisa, and just what I needed to hear right now! MY WIP is due back from an editor/beta reader and I'm nervous and excited at the same time. Because I know the comments will help me take my WIP and my craft to the next level. Critiques are soooo important!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know all three of your betas through their wonderful blogs!

    I am starting to appreciate betas SO MUCH MORE after years getting critiques chapter by chapter. You really need someone to commit to reading the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh, LIsa, thanks for the shout out. Ditto that you and Julie put golden eyes on my work. I think what works for the three of us is that we are completely different. We all bring different "filters" to the table so we know the work is being looked at from a variety of angels.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lisa-I haven't been here for a while! I could NOT let the lemming cartoon go uncommented on, though. Love it!
    I am so with you on beta readers. It is so helpful to have the big picture in front of you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such great points here, Lisa, as always. A good critique is invaluable, but that doesn't mean it will include everything we want to hear. But with time and consideration, most often the comments will make sense and contribute to making the story better than ever. Also, I couldn't agree more about the benefits of starting a new project right away.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Call me crazy, but so far (okay, young career here) I enjoy the revising and critque process. It provides so much help, knowledge and support into a deeply personal process. Like it, love it, or maybe not, someone I trust is reading my work, validating my efforts and making it better.

    On the flip side, I am always honored when someone asks me to read their WIP or MS. Even reading just a single scene for accuracy is exciting...getting in on the ground floor of someone's work.

    If/when I get published, I'l reconsider, but for now, beta-reading/critiquing is the best part of the process.

    Beta-Readers...if you find a good one, don't ever let her/him get away!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been really lucky. I have an enthusiastic beta reader and a cutthroat (in a good way) critique partner. I also belong to a local writers group and by critiquing the work of others, I'm strengthening my own editing eye.

    I've also learned that if something is “bothering” me about a passage or section, my critique partner and beta reader are going to pick it up too. The lesson? I should just address it BEFORE I hand it off to another. ;)

    ReplyDelete