Thursday, October 6, 2011

Don't Be a Zombie When You Write

photo credit
You're in the mushy middle, trudging along, plugging away at the keyboard. Maybe you have an outline you're following, maybe you're just pantsing your way through. But your brain feels as mushy as the second act, and you keep losing focus and checking your Twitter feed. You forgot about a blogpost you meant to check earlier, your kids need craft supplies for their school projects, your car needs an oil change...


Sound familiar? You're turning into a writing zombie.


We've all been there. It's hard to focus, especially when you feel like you're trudging uphill through sludge. 


What can you do to prevent staggering around your neighbors lawn searching for flesh? Or at least becoming lost in your manuscript and never making it out?

  • Take a break. Go take a walk or watch your favorite show. Read a good book! Anything to have some you time.
  • Throw something bad at your MC. What can you toss in there that will make her life that much harder? Go for it! See what happens.
  • Be a method actor. Try doing something your character enjoys that you don't. Singing? Running? Cooking? Try bonding with them. Maybe you'll figure something new out about them based on your experience. 
  • Take a detour. Do you outline? Do you have an idea where you're going? Change course. Ask your character to do something unexpected and see what happens. Don't think he would? Give the choice to another character and see what happens. You can always take it out, but it might get you thinking along a brand new line.
  • Change your routine. Do you normally write at night? Wake up early and write for an extra half hour. Take your laptop or a notebook to the park or a coffee shop. Switch your chair. 
  • Call a friend or critique partner. There's nothing like writer peeps to help you out when you're down. 
What else can you do to prevent turning into a writing zombie?

16 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I've definitely been there! These are excellent tips. For me, it's stepping away and changing my scenery. Hiking, walking, watching a chick flick, reading a book...anything like that recharges my zombie brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Sometimes I feel like you're reading my mind :) Perfect timing on this post~ just the motivation and tips I needed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips. It's hard for me to get out of zombie funks. I especially like the idea of bonding with characters by doing what they love to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE zombies. Sorry, I digress. LOL. But for me, taking a break --- especially reading a favorite author always helps and even inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a good one to put out there! I just did this, recently, too, and it was the first time I caught myself zombie-ing. I took out Save the Cat and notecards and re-organized before I went any farther.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice. But, I have to admit I read this line, "Throw something bad at your MC." as "Throw something bad at your PC." and thought, HECK YES! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So you're telling me I'm not supposed to feel this way? I thought that was the writer's life, that being the lack of any life outside of the cubicle of our writing room.

    And now, if you'll excuse, I've got to pick up my left leg that just shlopped to the floor. It's so hard to find good skin glue anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Lisa! I've actually had a pretty good inspiration-flow recently, but when the crash comes (I'm sure it will) I'll refer back here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Switch your chair - that sounds like the easiest one! But doesn't that violate BIC? Butt in chair? (I'm just being a pain. Ignore me. Just a zombie writing staggering by as she avoids writing because her brain is mush)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've got a hidden camera in my office, haven't you?

    lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read this yesterday and absolutely loved it! So you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Been there. Wish I'd had this list then. Thanks for the life preservers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I notice this most of all in the summer. I mean, I'll head out to grab the kids from school or take the garbage out and realize I haven't gone out in the beautiful sun for days! Sometimes I feel like the whole summer disappears in a blink of the eye. I need to remember that there is more than this ball-and-chain computer.

    Oh the irony, making that statement on a -youguessedit- computer. #facepalm lol

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha, well this certainly sounds familiar! No wonder I've been craving brains during my latest revision... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. All of the above and then have a drink . . . something involving Tequila. No wait, Rum. Better yet Rum and a pirate. That might work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is made of awesome. I've so been a writing zombie. Thanks for the ideas for avoiding becoming a flesh eating zombie, I'll have to try them. :)

    ReplyDelete