You did know I would fit Damon in here somewhere right? So... we talked on Monday about making a character into a "real person". Real people are flawed. Don't roll your eyes at me and say, "yeah, I've heard it." Because maybe you haven't heard it like this...
How to bring out the Dark Side of your character:
- Make sure the MC you've chosen is the absolute WRONG person to be put in this situation. Look at the main problem/task/challenge/choice your MC has to face. Take his/her achilles heel and strike at it full force right away. Oooh, now we got something..
- Make sure that major flaw isn't the ONLY thing your character has trouble with. I know you love your character, but in this case we need tough love. Real people have more than one flaw. We may be working on the major one that flows with the plot for the character arc, but that doesn't mean your MC ends up perfect at the end, does it? NO. Besides, if he/she only has one flaw how will you ever do a sequel?? LOL
- Be the Devil. Not literally silly. What I mean is use temptation. Throw everything you can at that sucker. Make it so that your MC will suffer by doing the right thing and be rewarded (at least on the surface) by the wrong choice.
- Let him give in. Don't stop it. If you start typing something you aren't proud of on his behalf, suck it up and do it. Let the character make the decision and guide you. You know what I'm talking about.
- Show his inner conflict. Don't hide it. Let us see what drives him, what he's wrestling with. Please take a couple of minutes to watch this scene. It REALLY demonstrates this most important point. Warning - it is graphic.