Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Closer Look At Vampires

Vampires. They have been the subject of countless books, movies and television shows. But how much of what we see and read is true? Which book comes closest to the reality? Let's take a better look at some of the better known vampire books to get an idea...

Dracula - This book started it all, well, at least for modern culture and our views on vampirism. Of course the real Count Dracula was a nasty Romanian dude who liked to stick people's heads on spikes outside of his castle. Any real self-respecting vampire would never waste all that nice warm blood. The one thing Bram did get right? Sunlight isn't deadly, just weakens them.

Interview with a Vampire - What can I say? I loved Lestat. He's one of my all-time favorite vampires - at least in the fictional world. Unfortunately, Anne Rice, though a brilliant author, didn't get a few things right. Examples? Stakes do in fact kill vampires. Vampires do not have a reflection.

True Blood - I love Sookie. She's got spunk. Charlaine got some things right on. Like the idea that vampires don't have to kill a person just because they drink some blood. The whole silver thing is bogus though. Werewolves yes. Vampires no.

Twilight - hey I had to go there, right? Ah, Edward. Charming? Yes. But the whole sparkle in the sun thing? Stephanie gets points for creativity, but not realism. And YES vampires do have fangs, though as many other works of fiction point out they are retractable. In Stephanie's own defense though - she probably never met a real vampire. At least not one that revealed his true nature.

There are so many other books right now that I could go into - The Vampire Diaries, The Immortal Instruments Series (though only a small part), Vampire Academy, etc. etc. One things for sure though, vampires have captivated our imagination for some time and though their popularity ebbs and flows, it will continue. Just as they will continue, living in the shadows, just out of sight.

I know you hate to appear trendy and all, but come on, who is your favorite vampire and why? I'm curious. So are the vampires.

6 comments:

  1. Ah, so many vampires, so little time. Unless you are one, then you've got eternity. I loved "Interview with a Vampire." Although I don't watch the Vampire Diaries, the guy who plays Damon sure is easy on the eyes. ;->

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for setting the record straight on all these facts. I would hate to be so un-PC as to be caught wearing my silver anti-vampire medallion. How embarrassing! Luckily, I don't think any vampires have seen it, so I'll just stick it in a drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vonna - you could always say it was an anti-werewolf charm and no one would be the wiser!

    Serenissima - Agreed on both counts! I have to swallow my pride and admit I do watch the show - though I use the excuse that it's research!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to know why the majority of vampires are hot! :)
    I love, love, love True Blood! That is my favorite vampire show. The books are good, but I think the show is better.
    Fave vampire? ERIC!
    I also enjoyed the Twilight series. I have watched VAmpire Diaries, I am way, way behind on the show though. I want to read a book or two.
    I loved The Lost Boys vampire movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. honestly, i've never liked vampires. i always thought they were scary and creepy. and, um, more honestly? edward cullen was the only vamp i'd ever met.

    i didn't even know vampires could be good looking!!

    this whole thing is still new to me. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly, YES I love Eric! Definitely one of my favorites. Must be the viking thing. You know, I never actually saw Lost Boys, I really should, huh?

    As far as the "hot" thing. I think it's true as I've never met an unhot (is that a word?) vampire. I believe it's part of the whole glamour thing. Like a lure for the prey.

    Tahereh, That's okay, stick around here enough and you'll get to know some more vampires and other things too.

    ReplyDelete